Here are a few tips for you if you have any furry friends during this “Excessive Heat Warning”
- Do not leave your pet in the car without air conditioning, not even for 5 minutes.
- If you see symptoms of heatstroke such as: excessive panting, drooling, lethargy, fever, vomiting, and collapse take the pet to the vet ASAP. Heatstroke can cause damage to organs and possibly lead to death.
- Do not walk your pet on hot surfaces like sidewalks, black top pavement, or hot sand. If if hurts your feet, it will hurt theirs.
- Try to take walks in the morning or evening to avoid direct sunlight.
- Brush your pet regularly. Their extra fur makes them hotter and uncomfortable.
- Keep your AC or a fan on.
- Cool treats are great such as frozen peanut butter in a Kong or frozen chicken broth.
- Extra water is a must, of course.
- If you are hot, your pet is too.
Keep cool and be safe!