The Upside gave STX Entertainment its first number one opener. The Neil Burger-helmed drama stars Kevin Hart, Bryan Cranston and Nicole Kidman; it earned $19.7 million in its opening weekend.
The Upside is a remake of a blockbuster French film that landed in 2012. It follows the story of a wealthy paraplegic who hires a financially strapped black ex-con to provide his care.
Aquaman came in second, and managed to top $1 billion worldwide in revenues. It was expected to bring in $9 million to $12 million.
Sony’s A Dog’s Way Home opened at $11.3 million, rounding out the top 3.
Top 10 movies at the box office:
- The Upside — $19.6 million
- Aquaman — $17.3 million
- A Dog’s Way Home —$11.3 million
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse —$9 million
- Escape Room — $8.9 million
- Mary Poppins Returns — $7.2 million
- Bumblebee — $6.8 million
- On the Basis of Sex — $6.2 million
- The Mule — $5.5 million
- Vice — $3.3 million