Ron Parker

Weekdays, 3 - 7pm

You will need a ‘Real ID’ or passport to fly out of an Illinois airport or enter a federal building starting next year

Gather up all of your legal documents and head to a Driver Service Facility to get your Illinois ‘Real ID.’  Starting October of 2020, you will need either the Real ID or a legal passport to pass through airport security or enter a federal building or military base.  If you regularly carry your passport, you’ll be fine, but for the rest of us: time to get a Real ID.  It looks like an Illinois driver’s license but includes a star.

Be prepared, they ask for more info when you apply for this ID.  To get a Real ID, you will need ‘Proof of Identity, Date of Birth and U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Status,’ name-change documents, proof of your Social Security Number, 2 proofs of residency and proof of your written signature.  You can find more info here.

CBS Chicago