There have been TWO Coyote attacks in Chicago in the last 24 hours. Here is a list of things to do if you approach a Coyote in the wild OR the city!
- Do not approach or frighten a Coyote if you do see one. A coyote might follow you if you pass through their territory. If animal does not approach, you should continue with doing whatever you are doing.
- Scare the Coyote. If you end up in a situation where the Coyote is engaging you – you might have no choice but to react. Make yourself look as big and menacing as possible. Wave arms above your head and shout in a low authoritative tone. Stand your ground. Throw rocks or sticks to make the coyote feel unwelcome. If in a residential or urban area, spray a hose or use water gun to ward off animal. Bang pots and pans together to scare off coyote.
- Protect members of your group that are more vulnerable to attack. Immediately grab or leash your pet. Shield any child with your body, or form ring around child with group of adults.
- NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON COYOTE. This shows weakness and fear. Keep facing coyote while maintaining menacing posture.
- If attack happens, protect throat and other arteries.
- When leaving Coyote, keep facing Coyote and slowly walk backwards.
- Consult doctor or medical professional ASAP after attack.
Be safe out there! – Producer Dan