On Monday, Governor JB Pritzker and the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity joined together to announce that Illinois has reached its highest-ever hotel revenue figures in Fiscal Year 2023 — $308 million.
This total surpasses the pre-pandemic record set in Fiscal Year 2019.
In 2022, Illinois welcomed 111 million visitors who spent $44 billion in 2022.
“I am proud to announce that in the fiscal year ending June 30, Illinois saw the highest ever hotel revenue numbers. More tourism means millions of new visitors exploring all the amazing things that our state and city have to offer – supporting small businesses and local economies along the way,” said Governor JB Pritzker.
The Illinois Department of Revenue provides state hotel revenue total collections, with figures representing all of Illinois’ hotels, motels, and lodging establishment’s taxable revenue.
State Hotel Revenues Collected:
Visitor Economic Data, measured by Calendar Year
|2018||117 million visitors||$44.2 billion|
|2019||122.8 million visitors (+5% from 2018)||$45.5 billion (+3% from 2018)|
|2020||67.4 million visitors (-45% from 2019)||$23.3 billion (-49% from 2019)|
|2021||97.1 million visitors (+44% from 2020)||$32.2 billion (+39% from 2020)|
|2022||111.3 million visitors (+14% from 2021; 91% of 2019 record level)||$44.3 billion (+37% from 2021; 97% of 2019 record level)|
Illinois has made important investments to the travel and tourism industry, including:
- $8 million for 2 funding rounds to support projects along Route 66
- $3 million for tourism marketing grants
- $33 million for 2 rounds of tourism and festival grants
- 200 awards benefitting communities statewide
- Hundreds of millions of dollars have been distributed back to hotels, restaurants, and other tourism businesses through the Back to Business (B2B) and Business Interruption Grant programs
To learn more, visit the Illinois Office of Tourism’s website.